Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Firearm and Gun Forums Firearm and Gun Forums Firearms 1911 Carry questions

• 1911 Carry questions

Charles updated 10 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Charles

December 17, 2019 at 4:24 pm

First off, I know some people don’t think a 1911 should be your edc, thank you but that’s not the question. I am the most comfortable and accurate with my Sig 1911, so it makes me the most comfortable to carry. I’m also big enough to carry it without printing

​

On to the question(s)

For those of you that own/carry one do you carry cocked and locked?

​

If cocked, do you use the thumb safety?

​

Edit: I fucked up the phrasing about the safety the first time.

• 3StepsFromThursday

The term “cocked and locked” typically refers to condition 1: round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on (“locked”.) Having the safety off (“unlocked”) would be condition 0, and generally isn’t the recommended way to carry a 1911.

• ColonelCorpral

I always carry my 1911 strong side owb, cocked and locked, safety on. Because of where the safety is it doesn’t take that much more effort to flip it off.

• HarambeLives777

For 1911 I would carry one in the chamber, hammer cocked and manual safety on. This is the fastest way to access the firearm while still ensuring it cannot fire while holstered.

As for your opening comment: I am if the opinion that you SHOULD carry something you are comfortable with. So if it’s a 1911, rock on my dude. Now, if someone asks me what I would pick or what I would RECOMMEND, it would probably be a single stack or double stack 9mm. But ultimately it’s about how well you can run that gun.

• TedBundy11B

Condition one with a solid retention holster. Condition one refers to “cocked and locked” with the manual safety engaged. No reason to carry any modern firearm without a round in the chamber.

• Laserguy74

Cocked and locked is the appropriate way to carry a 1911. Safety on? Yes the safety is the locked part of cocked and locked.

• theoriginalharbinger

> For those of you that own/carry one do you carry cocked and locked?

> If so, safety on or no (yes my Sig has a safety aside from the grip safety)

Uh… cocked and locked means “safety on” (that’s the locked bit).

Yes, leave the safety on. Anyone who tells you otherwise is mistaken. Any gun whose weight exceeds the weight of the trigger pull needs the safety on while holstered; to do otherwise is to risk blasting your own leg.

• Hoplophilia

Condition 1 is the only way to carry a 1911. If you’re not going cocked and locked (which you should) the Condition 3 is a distant second best. Hammer down, chamber clear. You’ll need to successfully chamber a round under stress for this to work. Condition 2 is hammer down on a round. Not nearly as safe. There’s a reason there’s no “condition” for chambered round, hammer up, safety off. Don’t do it.

I carried a 4″ Kimber for many years. slim micarta stocks, very well hidden. Shoots 45 Super like a laser. Only 7 rounds, but luckily they were never too few. In proper fudd fashion it rode in Lou Alessi leather with excellent retention. I’ll take my double-stack 9 with over two e the round count, but you do you.

• LocoLobo65648

I carry mine every day. Round in the chamber and safety on. As someone above said, with the placement of the safety on the 1911, it isn’t hard to take it off when necessary.

I do recommend practicing a draw followed by removing the safety though, because failure to unsafe is a sure way to get dead.

• Waardee

Cocked and locked, thumb safety always. Practice disengagement on the draw. I only carry one because I don’t have the money for a mk23. I’m also a big dude.

• Hodgie227

When I carry mine owb, I carry cocked and locked. But also my holster has a button strap as a retention system so there is a thick leather strap that sits between the cocked hammer and the firing pin

• Kang2143

Single action onlys ALWAYS need the safety on for carry.

• averagejoeshooting

Everything I carry always has one in the chamber. Theres no point in carrying on an empty chamber. In the guns that do have safeties I engage them. In the ones that dont, the holster is enough because it covers the trigger guard.

Also, most 1911s have sear blocks so they are drop safe so carrying them without the safety on should be fine

• SadConfiguration

I have an XO. I tried to carry it once but it was just too heavy. I conceal though. It wouldn’t be too bad OWB. If I do carry a SA/DA gun, the hammer is always back, round in the chamber, safety on. I have a holster for it in which the leather retention strap goes between the hammer and the pin, I just don’t use it.

• Cole_Cash_Grifter

a 1911 was one of my first guns that I carried every day. Since then I’ve carried a lot of other things, but I still occasionally carry a 1911 and when I do it’s IWB, condition one.
    if you carry a 1911 and it’s not condition one, you’re wrong. Seek training.

• [deleted]

[deleted]

• Billp1997

When I carry mine I go with an 8+1 setup. I put the safety on when I holster it and when its comfortably holstered I flick the safety off

• runz_with_waves

Does your holster protect your safety? If yes, condition 1. If not, Keep the hammer down.

Reply to: Charles
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now