Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Firearm and Gun Forums Firearm and Gun Forums Firearms .308 win vs . 6.5 creedmore

• .308 win vs . 6.5 creedmore

Trent updated 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Trent

July 7, 2020 at 5:56 pm

Thinking about buying a new rifle for deer season and I’m looking at the Remington 700 in .308 win and the browning x bolt speed in 6.5 creedmore. Which do you think is better? Also is it possible to get a .308 barrel to put on the 6.5 creedmore or the other way around?

• Guysmiley777

Creedmoor, not “creedmore”. I’d say be careful buying anything new made by Remington, they went to shit in the early 2000s (sadly) and a new 700 is potentially a dumpster fire in a shiny box due to the cost cutting and lack of QA being done.

.308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor honestly reminds me a LOT of 9mm vs .40 S&W back 20 years ago. .40 is technically better on paper by a slight margin with certain criteria, sort of like 6.5 CM. I bought into the .40 hype and while I can’t say I regret it, I do have pistols that are a lot more expensive now to shoot than if I would have stuck with the “plain and boring” 9mm.

For deer? My opinion is that it doesn’t matter. If you’re shooting deer at the ranges where 6.5 CM has a slight advantage then you’re an asshole because shooting at game at 800+ yards is an asshole thing to do. At typical deer hunting ranges either round is going to do just fine. It’s a question of if you want the plain and boring round or the fancy Gucci round.

• deficientbread

.308 if you’re primarily using it for hunting. You will have more widely available ammo and most shops will have it in stock. While 6.5CM can be used for hunting, most people use it for precision long range shooting. Ammo availability is variable and less shops will have it in stock. Costs for quality ammo is about the same. You also cannot change barrels out easily so people will have one or the other. Do you plan on doing any PRS or long range shooting? Or just hunting?

• kabong3

The main advantage of 6.5 Creedmoor is lower recoil without lower performance.

Lower recoil is always useful.

Ammo prices and availability for the two are actually pretty similar for the two if you’re comparing ammo from the same manufacturers and quality.

Either one would be great. The 6.5 creedmoor would give a few advantages.

• AlBu_666

I really think this question must be answered by yourself trough research: here you will get all kinds of answers but most of them are based on individual preferences. People that are shooting on the limit of the caliber will tell you that 6.5 is sooo much better then .308 – while many military will say .308 is the king.

I recommend this article for example:

6.5 Creedmoor vs 308

Check the price and availability of the ammo you want to shoot and put this in your consideration.

We will have the discussion again once .277 SF will hit the market- I am sure about that.

Personally- the x Bolt is a great rifle you can’t go wrong with Browning. But I would check if you get a Tikka T3X tactical or Hunter depending on your application. (Should be same price point)

Reply to: Trent
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now