Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Firearm and Gun Forums Firearm and Gun Forums Firearms Handguns 38 special ammo in a 357 Revolver crud rings

• 38 special ammo in a 357 Revolver crud rings

JonnyRocket updated 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • JonnyRocket

July 7, 2020 at 4:38 pm

I’m a Ruger SP101 (38spc/357) owner. After shooting a couple hundreds rounds of 38 special ammo, I’ve discovered the frustration of cleaning the cylinder well enough to chamber 357 ammo. It’s so annoying that I’m considering shooting only 357 ammo. Considering the cost of 357 ammo, I peeked at cheap steel case ammo. Are there any downsides to using cheaper steel or aluminum cased ammo in a revolver?

I still haven’t cleaned the cylinder well enough. I plan to get a lead remover product and a .40 caliber stainless bore brush (or a 357 cylinder brush) to finish the job. Maybe if the right tools make the cleanup easy enough, I can consider shooting 38 special, but with more frequent cleanings. Otherwise, I’ll start reloading my saved 357 brass.

• maximumbob54

Are you allowing your cleaning solvent time to work into the crud? Regular old Hoppes works for me still. Swab the chambers and let it set for ten minutes or so. Don’t rush it or it won’t work. Think like a dirty glass lasagna dish. You don’t just go at it scrubbing and get it clean. You fill it with water and add a little soap. Ten minutes later and it’s way easier to clean. That crud in the chambers is crazy burned in place.

• DoxieDad11

Thanks for the info. I also have a SP 101, it’s my favorite pistol. I generally only use .357 but will remember this post for future reference. Thanks.

• EducationalCollar0

get a pure copper chore boy scrubber pad and cut off a few strands and wrap it around a barrel brush then scrub the cyclinder. best cleaner for stainless steel

• [deleted]

[deleted]

Reply to: JonnyRocket
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now