Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Firearm and Gun Forums Firearm and Gun Forums Ammunition Reloading 9MM +P loads with power pistol and xtreme 147 grain plated bullets? I am using 5.1 grains now which is labeled as max charge. How high can I go? Or can I even go higher? I’m new be nice!

• 9MM +P loads with power pistol and xtreme 147 grain plated bullets? I am using 5.1 grains now which is labeled as max charge. How high can I go? Or can I even go higher? I’m new be nice!

Steven updated 10 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Steven

December 17, 2019 at 9:26 am

9MM +P loads with power pistol and xtreme 147 grain plated bullets? I am using 5.1 grains now which is labeled as max charge. How high can I go? Or can I even go higher? I’m new be nice!

• PeterPriesth00d

I would actually back off a bit from the max and do some test rounds. Do like 5 rounds each in increments of .1 grains and look for pressure signs before moving up. Just be careful. This isn’t stuff to screw with. You can blow your gun up and get seriously hurt if you take it too far and it doesn’t have to be that far for bad things to happen.

• Hoodfu

I ran your load through Quickload. It’s showing about 26k PSI. 9mm +P is rated up to 38.5k PSI. So you’re fine with 5.1 grains of Power Pistol. That said, you have to ask what you’re looking to achieve. Out of a 4″ barrel, you’re getting about 988 fps it says. I wouldn’t go higher than that if you’re looking to keep it subsonic. If you keep increasing it, or use too long a barrel, it might go supersonic. You can go all the way down to 850 fps with a 147gr projectile before you go below 125 power factor (for IDPA or USPSA purposes).

• mantawolf

Plated bullets are usually loaded to lead load levels.

• RebelMountainman

Why shoot hot? Especially if you are just plinking all it does is wear your gun down quicker, hot doesn’t always mean more accurate. If you are just starting out reloading you should be loading somewhat mild and work up. I’ve been loading for forty years and have known people that have blown guns up loading too hot. Might want to keep your powder thrower covered with a cap too especially if you’re in a humid environment. Windage and elevation.

Just remembered I’ve read a digital scales accuracy can be greatly effected by the cold and also greatly varying temps so you should be loading and storing the scale in an area that always has a consistent temp not out in a garage.

• AnonymousGunNut

I’ve personally never exceeded Alliant max loads, nor have I ever found a real reason to.

Without pressure measurement equipment or even a chronograph for looking at the velocity you’re getting compared to factory, 5.1gr may already be +P in your particular gun.

Most powder manufacturers are unwilling to provide 9mm +P data because the difference between 9mm +P and extreme overpressure that can damage a gun is so narrow.

That doesn’t begin to cover the pressure spike that can happen when using mixed headstamp range pickup 9mm brass that has different levels of powder capacity, slightly longer bullets than what the factory used when developing their data, bullets with more bearing surface than what the factory used when developing their data, substituting a JHP while following FMJ load data, powder batch variation, higher ambient shooting range temperature compared to the temperature at the testing lab for the max load, et cetera.

The max load is a reasonable estimate by the factory of a maximum powder charge that *probably* won’t immediately destroy your gun if one or two or three things gets tweaked or changed but will give you the ability to determine through recoil or pressure signs on brass that something’s wrong and should be reduced.

Reply to: Steven
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now