Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Firearm and Gun Forums Firearm and Gun Forums Firearms Shotguns Assuming that it is in excellent condition, are there any shells that should not be fired from a 1928 NID 12 Gauge Ithaca?

• Assuming that it is in excellent condition, are there any shells that should not be fired from a 1928 NID 12 Gauge Ithaca?

Tony updated 10 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Tony

December 17, 2019 at 3:00 pm

From what I understand from reading a bit online the “NID” models are quite strongly built and much stronger than the previous “flues” model. I haven’t quite been able to verify if it is capable of shooting 3″ shells. Assuming that the gun is in excellent working shape, are there any modern 12 gauge shells that should not be fired through this model? Or are they plenty stout enough to handle any type of modern magnum birdshot or buckshot loads or slugs?

• filetCamp

i wouldn’t shoot the magnum slugs or steel shot

• zoidbug

I highly doubt itbqas made for 3″ so I would stick to 2 3/4″

• SnoozingBasset

As stated previously – no steel. Some people don’t fire slugs through a full choke; others say it’s fine.

SAAMI pressures haven’t changed. New loads don’t have more pressure than older smokeless loads. Spend a minute and read about SAAMI pressures in shotguns so you have knowledge, rather than internet gossip.

I shop for lower pressure in my older guns so there is less recoil force on old wood. That’s just me.

Reply to: Tony
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now