Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Firearm and Gun Forums Firearm and Gun Forums Ammunition Double Tap Ammunition: The 270 Showdown

• Double Tap Ammunition: The 270 Showdown

JRthe3 updated 10 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • JRthe3

December 17, 2019 at 3:44 am

• Skynyrdmaster

Barnes makes a great Promo for their ammo but I tried the TSX in my 30-30 and it was all over the place accuracy wise. I`m getting ready to pick up a .270 and will do some shopping around ammo wise, but I doubt I will be picking up any Barnes ammo unless they come out with a 160-170 grn bullet, PERSONALLY I think they are going too light to make FPS and Energy ratings better.

• Exposing the Darkness with the Light of Truth

IT'S NOT SO MUCH ABOUT THE BULLETS AS MUCH AS IT IS WITH TWIST RATE. STANDARD TWIST RATE FOR THE .270 (277 CALIBER) IS 1:10, BUT A FASTER, TIGHTER TWISTS RATE OFFERS EXCEPTIONAL STABILITY WITH THE 130gr, MEDIUM WEIGHT BULLET AT GRATER DISTANCES. THE BULLETS SHOULD BE TOUCHING WITH THE 1:7 TWIST RATE, WHICH HAS CONSISTENTLY BEEN OUR EXPERIENCE, BUT MAY REQUIRES A NEW BARREL, WHICH IS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE AND SOMETIMES YOU CAN ORDER IT. MOST PEOPLE ASSUME THE FACTORY KNOWS BEST, BUT IN THE END, WHICH ONE IS BEST FOR STABILIZATION OVER ANY DISTANCE LONGER BULLETS EVEN THOUGH A SMALLER CALIBER WILL DO MUCH BETTER WITH A FASTER TWIST RATE LIKE THE 6.5 GRENDEL. HIGHER BALLISTIC RESULTS IS ONLY RELATIVE TO TWIST RATE–UNLESS YOU'RE HAPPY WITH COMMON STANDARDS, BUT WON'T NECESSARILY TAKE THE PRIZE!

• william sotak

Not sure how you are measuring, but that is about a 2 inch grouping and a 1.5 inch grouping

• Cousin Jimmy Farha

Dude grabbing hot brass. WTF

• Gary Nash

You jerk your head so much…I'm suprised you hit the target.

• todd mustafa-ali

whats the ft lbs out the muzzle and at 50 yards??

• colorcountrykid

Is this the little pull out just north of town off of Minersville Highway? 😉

• Nick Hillman

food for thought. i have a custom .270 wsm. Switiching ammo from lead free to lead with out cleaning the bore can effect your group. i believe you could tighten that group  even at 200 yards with that rifle.

• JCW7766

I really expected better out of both brands of ammo you tested. I've gotten better grouping with my .270, 3/4" @ 210yds inside a 1.5" bulls eye using Remington's standard 130gr CoreLokt in the heat and humidity of a hot August summer day in the south using a bipod instead of a stand.

The gun is a 2010 Howa M1500 with a 22" free floating bull barrel and composite stock. The scope at the time was a cheap, came with the gun, Aimsports 3-9pwr x 32mm. I have a much nicer 8-32pwr x 44mm on it now.

How long have you been shooting those ammos in that gun? Any idea how many rounds have been put through it? I'm wondering if maybe the gun isn't fond of those ammos. It's a Browning so I'd think it would be pretty accurate. But I know I ran into some accuracy issues back in August and September. Remington worked fine, Federal Fusion worked even better. Hornady was ok. Winchester "X" absolutely stunk, And now I'm using matched reloads and getting holes on top of each other at 100yds, haven't made it back to the 210yd range yet. I'm also shooting 150gr instead of 130 now as well.

• nmelkhunter1

Just a quick observation. It appears to me that it is difficult to say for sure that Accubonds are more accurate than Barnes bullets based on your test. I think that things such as the OAL, type of primer, amount of powder of each load would have to be take into consideration to best draw any conclusions. The only thing that can be said is that your guns shoots Accubond bullets more accurately than it does Barnes bullets.

Reply to: JRthe3
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now