Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Firearm and Gun Forums Firearm and Gun Forums Firearms Got my first rifle, an AR556, not prepared for people’s reaction.

• Got my first rifle, an AR556, not prepared for people’s reaction.

Charles updated 11 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Charles

December 13, 2019 at 7:11 pm

I recently purchased my first firearm, a M&P Shield 380 EZ. I really enjoyed taking it to the range, so I thought my next choice should be a rifle, just to balance out. Long story short, I bought a Ruger AR 556 PMR and added a sightmark wolverine red dot. A bit of a background: politically, I am center right, but have a lot of very liberal friends. Most of the time, it’s no issue, because I’m generally a bit further left on social issues, so I guess I’d classify myself as more Libertarian.

Anyway, I’ve been posting pics of my range outings and pistol for a while and no one really comments. I get home with my rifle today, think it looks pretty sweet, so I make a post about it. I was NOT prepared for the onslaught that followed. Keep in mind, I have an AR556 PMR which has as its sole modification the aforementioned red dot sight. I immediately begin to get people saying that they can’t believe I bought an ‘assault rifle’ and one person asked me if I knew that my gun had a bump stock (??? — not sure where that came from?). People then started telling me how disappointed and shocked they were. These are people that know me well, so I wasn’t prepared for it. I’m literally the same person I was before I purchased my rifle, but the mere fact of having purchased it seem to somehow indicate my values had shifted.

I fought back for a while, explaining that my gun is semi automatic, and does not fire fully automatic, therefore it does not qualify as an ‘assault rifle’. I also explained that the stock was an adjustable stock, not a bump stock, but it didn’t really matter. I ended up just deleting my post and feeling really, really bad for some reason. It sucked, and I probably should have been less naive.

​

Anyway, rant over, now some questions!

​

What are some good defensive and some good range ammo for this? Still a newbie!

• dormanGrube

Meh. I’d say guns are tools, Much like knives

Owning a sledge hammer and a set of bolt cutters doesn’t make you a burglar. And owning a semi-auto centerfire rifle doesn’t make you a mass murder.

align yourself with what you believe in and your social circle should filter itself.

That being said this sub is likely 99% firearm sympathizers, no one here is going to suggest turning in your possessions or destroying them.

• HeloRising

>Anyway, I’ve been posting pics of my range outings and pistol for a while and no one really comments. I get home with my rifle today, think it looks pretty sweet, so I make a post about it.

Yeah don’t do that.

Between the hostile atmosphere on social media and the prevalence for collecting information on the part of people who like to break in and take things, avoid posting specific details of what you have on social media.

>I fought back for a while, explaining that my gun is semi automatic, and does not fire fully automatic, therefore it does not qualify as an ‘assault rifle’. I also explained that the stock was an adjustable stock, not a bump stock, but it didn’t really matter. I ended up just deleting my post and feeling really, really bad for some reason. It sucked, and I probably should have been less naive.

That’s not going to fly.

You may have been technically right but people are responding to your situation with their beliefs, not their knowledge.

It’s easy to sit there and fondle yourself over a 8×10 of Ben Shapiro while breathing heavily and saying “Facts don’t care about your feelings!” but a person’s belief is a huge factor in what type of information they’ll be receptive to.

Just vomiting facts at them is not constructive.

Pick your battles. Some people are not going to hear you regardless of how you approach them. Don’t waste your time with these people. Fights on social media are an enormous waste of time and energy.

A simple “I hear you, but that’s not how I see the situation and I don’t really want to get into an argument about it. Have a good day.” suffices most of the time.

• The_MadChemist

Holy hell, please don’t listen to everyone saying “Toss yr friends, hur hur.”

Throw it back up and say you’re happy to answer questions, but not argue. Offer to take them out shooting with you.

• ProbablyAFudd

“I have not and would not do anything illegal or harmful to an innocent person. Your statements are factually incorrect. I will not discuss this further.”

• Snorkel392

Post videos of you shooting it at the range. Be an example to them. We need to normalize gun culture.

• 300BlkBoogie

your friends succeeded in their aims of using social pressure to silence you. You do you, boo boo, and screw the haters

• FrankFrmTx

1. Those people are USDA Grade A fucking stupid.

2. You sound sensitive as fuck if that made you delete the post, fuck them and never be ashamed of what you’re into, as long as its not some illegal weird shit.

3. As much as it sucks that we have to do this, read up on as much statistics, facts, and other shit that counters their bullshit, nothing worse than a gun person that cant intelligently and factually discuss and pushback against idiots.

• NackBlapkins

When a liberal tells me how evil my assault rifles are,I like to mention that Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than all of my (many) guns have killed all together, usually get dirty looks for bringing up those pesky facts

• chris_4365

Even if it’s full auto, it’s not an assault rifle

• XxAssEater101xX

Just ask what they think of trump (answer will likely involve nazi/racist) then say something along the lines of “so why the heck would you trust him with our guns and our power?” Idk just something ive been wanting to try but dont have the chance because ewww social interaction.

• yukondelight

>but have a lot of very liberal friends

I never considered brainwashed sheep as friends.

• walker97531

Do you plan to use your gun for evil? If the answer is no, don’t feel bad. I understand they are your friends but I don’t think they have the right to rip into you about this. However, I’m very biased because regardless of where I stand politically, I like guns. I own a few and will keep them in my possession until I lose them in a boating accident should someone try to confiscate them.

• Mac_Elliot

you need new friends. lol

• neuralsnafu

My mother in law was going on about ‘assault rifles’ at dinner one day, saying how bad they were etc. Went and grabbed my ar pistol and showed her what guards her house when they call and say they heard something outside (the in laws live next door)…

She shut up damn quick.

• jeb86home

Be a good example to them. They’re so indoctrinated that any time they see an AR or other ‘scary black rifle’ they panic. Keep posting. Show them you use it for fun, show it at the range with some targets, whatever. They should presumably know you’re a decent person, eventually they’ll get over their initial ‘shock’ and maybe even be curious enough about them to let you take them to the range with you.

The more people that are into guns, the better. The best way to change people’s minds is to show them that someone they know uses these tools. It’s similar to the Out Campaign that encouraged gay people to come out, because the unfamiliar is scary, but if your close friend is gay, you know they’re not scary and they’re just a normal person. And slowly peoples opinions have changed and are still changing. We need to do the same with guns. They’re nothing to be ashamed of, they’re fun, and they’re an excellent way to defend yourself and your loved ones if that’s how you want to use them. Be the gun person in your friend group, maybe you’ll change some minds. And if they can’t change their minds, or at least accept your decisions, then they weren’t worth being friends with anyway.

• 7XrayLima

Delete your friends, not your post. They’re clearly pants-on-head retarded.

• BigNewt05

You’re “friends” are idiots and you need new ones

• zSchlachter

Dont feel bad i have friends that are total dicks when it comes to gun ownership and are very set in their ways so until they show an interest i leave them to their devices and dont talk guns around them. It hurts when they attack something you value but if they wont hear you out then theres little to do, doesnt make them bad people or bad friends but it does show they have reactionary mindset. I personally don’t post pics because i dont feel like it and id rather avoid someone dm-ing me saying im a baby killer because i own and arfteen and glawks

Edit: didnt see ammo, i use wolf gold .223 and american eagle xm193. I want to use some 855 but the indoor range i go to doesnt allow steel penetrator ammo

• thephasterone

**Take those people shooting ASAP.**

Seriously. Invite them shooting. The fastest way to turn an anti-gun person pro-gun is to take them shooting.

This is because in their head they have this notion that guns are bad and gun people are bad. When you take them shooting, they realize that they are not a bad person just because they are using a gun. When they resolve this cognitive dissonance, invariably they come out on the other side realizing that if *they* can use a gun and not be a bad person, and *they* are not special, then probably *most people* with guns are not bad people, either.

• Dayton52

People are funny, especially when they are experts. Buy a variety of ammo and see what it likes!

• mreed911

Put the post back. Make new friends. Enjoy pew pew.

• PainKillaX

Your friends are irrational morons. Oh well, now you know.

Throw that Sightmark away because they are hot trash.

• TheRealGlenn

It’s your duty to take your friends shooting and convert them. I’m sure they’re not stupid, they just are not familiar with particular guns except for what the media has drilled into them.

• Adamant_Narwhal

I’d invite them to try shooting them. Honestly, until I shot an AR, I didn’t realize just how good it was, and how easy for a novice to handle and be good with, making such a great tool for home defense.

I’ve taken a couple of people to the range for the first time: one was my roommate, to other was a transfer student from India. My roommate was a little cautious at first, but after an hour couldn’t stop grinning. The transfer student had previously asked what the deal with “you Americans and your guns and big trucks”. She was the biggest surprise, after the first visit she couldn’t wait to go back, even called her family and bragged about it.

All that to say, try to get them to experience it for themselves, honestly that changes more minds than any statistics. Experience trumps everything.

• blyat56

Small price to pay for learning who your real friends are.

• onesagestudent

I considered myself liberal for a long time cause I am on many social issues, but then they went Bat shit crazy and I felt isolated, not to mention they don’t base there arguments on reality but on their feelings instead. Most don’t understand the history around the second amendment, or the first, or any of the bill of rights for that matter. They argue with no real logic and don’t care to understand why the bill of rights is so important. Enjoy your sporting rifle safely, and vote republican, that’s all you can do.

• WolfgangxZ

Something that I only saw mentioned a few times in the comments and that I thought was a great idea was maybe try and slowly introduce firearms to your friends. Yes there are always some who are stuck in the mindset of “assualt rifle evil” but that might be group mentality or just something they have always been taught. I think it’s worth a shot to offer to go shooting with them and let them see the safe side that is the vast majority of shooting a gun. The more people we educate, the less of a divide we all face and the easier life gets. As for ammunition, unless you are trying for really accurate I would feed as cheap as you can get and what your range allows. Most modern firearms will do pretty damn good with garbage ammo. Steel is typically the cheapest but it’s generally not the most accurate and is more harsh on your rifle. Good luck and have fun!

Reply to: Charles
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now