Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Firearm and Gun Forums Firearm and Gun Forums Firearms Henry Big Boy .357/38SP Extremely Ammo Sensitive?

• Henry Big Boy .357/38SP Extremely Ammo Sensitive?

Charles updated 11 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Charles

December 14, 2019 at 11:32 am

I’ve got a brand new Henry .357 with about 100 rounds through it so far. The first box i put through it was American Eagle .357 Magnum 158gr Jacketed Soft Points. They functioned perfectly through the rifle. The next box was American Eagle .38 Special 158gr Lead Round Nose, these fed and extracted just fine but when i compressed the magazine spring the lever would automatically pop open. (this only happened with this specific round for whatever reason).

I also picked up some, Fiocchi .357, Blazer .38, and some Magtech .38’s. The Fiocchi .357’s were slightly longer than the American Eagle .357’s and the lever required to be worked with more force or a failure to feed would occur. The Blazer .38 Specials would absolutely NOT feed, AT ALL. The Magtech .38 Specials worked absolutely great, with 0 failures and they fed extremely smooth and extracted.

I measured the Magtech .38’s and the Blazer .38’s and the Blazers were significantly shorter.

[Picture of Measurements](https://imgur.com/a/6qX4Nud)

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems that i’m forced to use very specific brands of ammo with the correct length. I mostly tested .38’s because that’s what i’ll mostly be shooting because of .357 prices. But even the Fiocchi .357s (which were longer than the Federals) gave me the occasional failure to feed/extract. Only the Federal .357’s and Magtech .38’s functioned perfectly. I’d appreciate any inputs.

• Laserguy74

Lever guns like a particular length due to how they work. They also tend to prefer certain bullet profiles. Figure out what it likes and run that in it.

• redbirds4life

I think in the Henry manual, it states 357 is much preferred. My Henry big boy def likes 357 much more. 38 SPC works fine but I found that as long as I don’t short stroke the lever, it feeds fine.

• wyatt_3arp

Must just be the ammo I have available to me, but I’ve had pretty good luck with Winchester, Midwest, and Federal. I think I’ve got some .38 snapcaps that didn’t feed great when working getting my levering down, but I picked up a .357 set and I don’t think I’ve had a single one fail to cycle. I snagged one of the Midwest down in the basement (the cheapest) and it’s measuring at 1.419″ (or 36.05mm).

• LockyBalboaPrime

That is how lever-action rifles work. They need cartridges within a fairly narrow length to be able to lift and operate correctly.

My Uberti likes 7 or 8 brands I’ve found so far, hates 2. Literally cannot function with one of them and it was a bitch to unload.

• brokedman45

Yep. Same kinds of issues with my .357 big boy. I haven’t shot it enough to really keep track of how different brands perform.

• Amos_Moses666

The manual talks about cartridge lengths the gun prefers.

• ARMAGELADON

Not helpful but my Rossi 92 hasn’t gave a damn about COAL so far

• woodsxdragon

Not henry but my rossi is more reliable with 357. I like to think of it as 357 with the ability to hand load 38 if need be. They can be tuned for one load or another but trying to split the difference is a problem.

Reply to: Charles
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now