Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Hunting I bought almost 100 acres near abilene texas for wildlife management. Anyone have recommendations for what to plant in sandy soil using Buffalo system?

• I bought almost 100 acres near abilene texas for wildlife management. Anyone have recommendations for what to plant in sandy soil using Buffalo system?

Trent updated 1 month ago 2 Members · 19 Posts
  • Trent

September 16, 2021 at 6:33 am

I bought almost 100 acres near abilene texas for wildlife management. Anyone have recommendations for what to plant in sandy soil using Buffalo system?

• finnbee2

Go to your local soil and water conservation district and find out what plants are native to the area. They may be able to point you in the right direction to get financial help in returning it to its native state.

• iloveales

I would look at horticulture and creating conturing swales on the property to hold rain and water.

Once that is done. I would plant some apple, peach and cherry trees in the swales with natural browsing plants like black berries and buffalo grass.

On the upper part of the contouring I would plant alfalfa, turnips, rye grass and oats.

This would take a few years to realize but eventually your property would become a hotspot for all the deer in the area. Especially if you can keep water available year round. Look at a water cistern system that is filled from a rain roof water system.

• Concern-Cold

If you call tx parks and wildlife you can get the number for the wildlife biologist for Taylor county (or whatever county it is) and they will come out and view the property and give you recommendations on what to plant and when for whatever species you intend to hunt. We just did this on our place 30 miles north of Abilene and he has been out several times while passing by to check on the progress. It’s been a great resource for new land owners.

• mdtransplant21

• ilikefunkymusic

Native plants

• SnoozingBasset

Include some bee pasture (plants for bees)

• CuttingTheMustard

In addition to what everyone else has suggested, A&M AgriLife Extension is going to be a great resource for you also. Your county office may be able to help you (for instance, figuring out if you can sustain a pond there without a well).

• Sonnysdad

Plants lots of signs and cameras.

• napsar

Lovely area! Congrats!

• Lennny27

Potatoes?

• afgator58

We’re going to be trying a blend like [this](https://youtu.be/uNHKZk4Zroo) guy uses along with drilling for the first time in a couple of months. This video is farther east of you but it’s worth taking some of the info to your local ag extension.

• iamunique16

Dude that’s insane how much does that cost ? I’ve always wanted to buy some land middle of nowhere

• Grey_Wulfe

I could provide better advice if I were allowed to hunt on it a few seasons…

• caedin8

You really shouldn’t doxx yourself like this.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 19 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now