Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Firearms Rifles Looking at investing into a .300 win mag rifle. Would this Christensen Arms be worth the price? I’d prefer to buy once cry once. Any other suggestions welcome as well!

• Looking at investing into a .300 win mag rifle. Would this Christensen Arms be worth the price? I’d prefer to buy once cry once. Any other suggestions welcome as well!

Neville updated 1 month, 1 week ago 2 Members · 39 Posts
  • Neville

September 16, 2021 at 9:37 am

Looking at investing into a .300 win mag rifle. Would this Christensen Arms be worth the price? I’d prefer to buy once cry once. Any other suggestions welcome as well!

• Trollygag

I am going to tell you what most new people get told.

The rifle you want for elk in the midwest is a hiking rifle, not a LR rifle. Hiking rifles are built so you can carry them around all day, stay quiet, not snag on anything, and shoot 1 time on game.

The rifle you want for LR shooting is a target rifle. Target rifles are built so you can shoot them all day rather than wait on them all day, and do so while seeing your target and not wearing you out.

The rifles inbetween like handy rifles and light tactical rifles suck for both of those uses. They work better with less mobility and less firing schedule requirements, but there are very few activities we as civilians do with those lower requirements.

If you have a $2500 rifle budget, then you should look at buying 2 rifles.

One, a cheap and lightweight hunting rifle in an elk cartridge (Ruger American, Tikka T3x Lite), and the other, a dedicated target rifle in a lighter recoiling and less expensive cartridge like 6.5CM. Maybe you buy an off the shelf rifle or maybe you build it. Up to you, but I would probably go the build route.

• Jbur45-56

I’d avoid Christensen arms, serious QC issues with them as of late.

• ImyourDingleberry999

With CA, you buy once, cry once, and promptly send it back…

• CASAdriver

Expensive and not enjoyable to shoot, there are better precision .30-based calibers around, and CA has bad QC

• NJ-B

If you’re looking in that price range then go with a Seekins Havak. If you hold the two side by side the Christensen will feel like a toy. I also 2nd the opinion that their QC is shit. I bought an MPR. I had it a few weeks before I really looked it over and there were several defects on the chassIs. They ended up replacing the chassis. There actions are sloppy compared to the Seekins. If you reload the Christensens are know for hitting pressure early.

• MyLonewolf25

God no
    Christensen arms is ass

• phatcrackajr

I work at a bass pro and we have one of these in a 6.5 PRC, the stock is comfortable and it’s got a pretty good trigger in it but I agree with the above comment about their QC. Seems like half the CA rifles I deal with at work end up having issues.

• governman

For that kinda money I’d build around a Mausingfield action, but that’s just me.

• Zadien22

Just buy a bergara hmr. You can easily get sub moa with hand loads, they are cheaper upfront and to replace the barrel, and you can easily swap to a better chassis for cheap. There’s a reason its so ubiquitous. If you want better, go custom.

If you don’t already reload, I’d take the difference between this and the bergara to invest in a reloading setup. If you want to be serious about long range, reloading is your friend.

Also, don’t skimp on the glass.

• Cannon-Cocker

Feeding it will be a chore. Trying to help a coworker find ammo that isn’t $3.00 a round.

• cwmcclung

For easy reference this is the BA tactical that I am looking at.

• GlockAF

Recoil will be stout

• WillyWonka53

Just go with the 2020 waypoint

• aggieof10

I have had that exact rifle in that caliber, it was excellent.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 39 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now