Forums Forums Firearms Official Politics Thread – 10 September 2021

• Official Politics Thread – 10 September 2021

Logan updated 1 month, 1 week ago 2 Members · 18 Posts
  • Logan

September 16, 2021 at 10:29 am

Mr. Potato Head made a speech. This gon’ be interesting

• ClearlyInsane1

We now need to start referring to DC v. Heller as #1 or #2 or #3 now. In his third lawsuit against the city, Dick Heller along with two other plaintiffs has challenged D.C.’s law banning the manufacture of firearms.

In New Lawsuit, D.C. Gun Advocates Take Aim At Restrictions On ‘Ghost Guns’

• ClearlyInsane1

**Canada** appears to be keeping or getting a prime minister that likes gun control, whether Trudeau stays in office or the front-runner from the opposition in the upcoming election.

>During that debate, Mr. O’Toole declared that, if elected, his government would maintain the ban on assault weapons.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-otoole-risks-electoral-gains-with-stance-on-gun-control/

>Conservative leader Erin O’Toole has been pressed repeatedly this week over his campaign promise to overturn a 2020 ban on weapons such as the AR-15

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canada-opposition-chief-leading-election-race-under-fire-over-gun-control-2021-09-04/

• NAP51DMustang

Want to bring something to everyones attention that while not exactly firearms related could (will?) have impacts.

Under the current administration there is a proposal (well set of proposals) being directed to the financial side of things in the Fiscal Year 2022 Revenue Proposals (PDF Document [here](https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/131/General-Explanations-FY2022.pdf) ). I would like to direct everyone’s attention to page 88 (that’s an unfortunate number) and specifically to the first paragraph under the “Proposal” section. And for the lazy:

> This proposal would create a comprehensive financial account information reporting regime.
    Financial institutions would report data on financial accounts in an information return. The
    annual return will report gross inflows and outflows with a breakdown for physical cash,
    transactions with a foreign account, and transfers to and from another account with the same
    owner. This requirement would apply to all business and personal accounts from financial
    institutions, including bank, loan, and investment accounts,2 with the exception of accounts
    below a low de minimis gross flow threshold of $600 or fair market value of $600.

That’s right. Biden wants every transaction you make, into and out of your bank account, to be reported to the IRS. Anyone else remember Operation ~~Paper clip~~[insert the name of the action under Obama to pressure the banks and CC companies into not doing business with certain “bad” industries] because I’m getting sequel vibes from this.

• TaskForceD00mer

**OHIO**

Everyone’s favorite Bloomberg moms are [trying to Challenge Ohio’s SYG law](https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2021/09/09/everytown-gun-safety-challenges-ohio-stand-your-ground-law-court/5770231001/)

• drtbk09

We need to pressure the next supposedly 2a president into lifting the ammo/firearm sanctions against Russia and China before the anti gunners use it as a backdoor way around congress to implement gun control. Mark my words it’ll be used on any and all imported firearms and ammunition if not stopped.

• Mr_McShifty

That might be my favorite automoderator message ever. Thanks for that.

• p0isin32

Sayonara to Dave Chipman’s prospects as head of ATF. I’m sure Biden will find another place in the shadows for him to influence policy.

I’m going to leave the vaccine mandates for someone else to discuss.

• Iknewnot

if they are able to do this through OSHA, they will do the same for guns via the CDC or HHS or whatever.

• ENclip

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I see Chipman’s withdrawal as something planned, or at least very expected, all along. This [comment](https://www.reddit.com/r/VAGuns/comments/pkyb3x/best_news_today_chipman_nomination_being_pulled/hc6tt1y/?context=3) I think I agree with about his purpose in shifting the “Overton window,” and easily sliding in someone slightly less radical that the gun community won’t notice because “we won against Chipman.” This seems to always happen, something outrageously radical on gun control is proposed (either a person or policy) and then it inevitably fails and is replaced with something that in comparison seems lighter and gets less resistance. This happened in VA last year. We were facing magazine bans *with no grandfathering* this means if you were caught with one of the most common gun items in circulation you would face criminal possession. Of course, it changed to grandfathering and then eventually failed. But while everyone celebrated about the stopping of that and an AWB, one handgun a month laws found their way back along with restrictions on how you can attain a CCL (no online training) and more. Now the next time gun control comes around in my state the mag bans and AWB bans are just a little more normalized because the “compromise” light stuff has already been implemented.

Edit: As others are pointing out, maybe I’m just underestimating how out of touch the Biden admin can be thinking Chipman was an easy in. Maybe they somehow thought this would work. I guess that’s just as likely as some grand political scheming.

• samjohnson998877

Remember me everyone. Has anyone talked about scotus 2a casea recently?

• billynorton8765

9+10=21?!? 9/10/21?!??!!

• NotBen_2

I’m OOTL. Can someone fill me in?

• HCE_Replacement_Bot

Banner has been updated.

• Bartman383

Chipman was hated from both sides of the aisle, which is good to see, he was never going to be confirmed. I’m curious to see who will be nominated next. I’m drawing a blank. Hopefully some run-of-the-mill no-body who will at least keep the status quo.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 18 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now