Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• P220 Vs P226 (Cali)

Trent updated 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Trent

July 7, 2020 at 2:47 pm

Hey guys, I’m trying to decide between a p220 and a p226 for home defence (since I prob can’t get a CCW in LA county). Here’s the question, should I choose the 45 with the 8 round magazine or the 9mm with the 10 round? Usually the 9mm should be better but with the magazine capacity law here in cali I’m leaning 45. Thanks! (btw im probably going to search for a SAO version even though it’s off roster)

• always_an_eagle

I would go with the 226. 10 is more than 8, flatter shooting, easier to handle and modern self defense hollow point loads are very effective

• Ragnarthelab

If the 226 was good enough for the Navy seals for 30 years I would say it’s worth a serious look

• DFogz

If it’s just capacity that’s the deciding factor, have you considered a p227?
    Same thing as a p220 but with a p226-sized grip and 10 rounds standard instead of 8.

• ExtraneousHamster

For home defense you want an AR-15. Even in CA AR maglock gen 2/4 will still give you fast reloads and the ability to safely clear double feeds.

The AR-15 is easier to handle and has better ballistics with penetration equal to a 9mm. In CA we’re limited to 10 rounds regardless (there’s freedom week mags but that’s an entire topic in itself). With an AR-15 in 223/5.56 you’re gonna get more effective shots than with a 9mm or 45acp.

Second best option is a 12ga loaded with #4 buckshot or a pistol caliber carbine.

Handguns are behind all of those because they’re harder to use, more prone to malfunction, and the ballistics aren’t that great. Chances are even after 2-3 shots the attacker is still gonna be standing unless you get a good hit on a vital organ. Which is much harder with a handgun.

Handguns are for carrying. Long guns are for everything else. That being said, ideally you have both.

• VividPups

Just get a shotgun, work with clearing out the germans in a trench it will work with clearing out a dirtbag from your house Also, there are alot of different types of shells you could. AR is good. But, really 2 shotgun shells and they should be down for. AR also could over pen and hurt someone else if you miss

• TheGreatPoopWizard

Get the .45, less penetration and you can keep a hand free. Make sure to put a light on the rail.

Reply to: Trent
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now