Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Firearm and Gun Forums Firearm and Gun Forums Ammunition Reloading Questions about 460 rowland

• Questions about 460 rowland

Steven updated 10 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Steven

December 18, 2019 at 2:47 am

I’m thinking about getting a 460 rowland conversion and reloading my ammo for it.

Here’s what confuses me about the cartridge –

The case is 1/16″ longer than standard 45ACP, but then the bullet is seated deeper in the case for the same OAL, meaning case volume is theoretically the same as 45ACP, he’s just packing it with more powder to increase pressure from 20,000psi to 40,000 psi.

Rowland says the case length difference is to prevent it from being chambered in an unmodified gun (implying that it would be dangerous to fire a round that hot in a stock gun)

However, his conversions just take the stock barrel and ream the chamber deeper….so obviously he believes the stock barrel and chamber can handle the increased pressure. So if you can do that, why can’t you just use a normal 45acp case, load it really hot, and fire it from a stock barrel / chamber?

Is 460 rowland brass thicker walled or stronger in any way? I’m struggling to see how the 460 rowland is functionally any different than just loading up 45acp to double it’s normal Saami pressure. That obviously sounds unsafe to do with 45acp, so why would it be safe to do with 460 rowland? The only other differences with a 460 rowland conversion are the ported barrels / compensators and stiffer recoil spring that he sells with the kits, which I assume is to reduce the beating that the frame takes. But you could put the same compensator and recoil spring on a gun with standard 45acp chambering too. So why is the chamber reaming and longer (more expensive) brass necessary?

• brandonsmash

It’s been years since I’ve run .460 Rowland, but if I recall correctly the brass is webbed to handle the additional stress.

I also had a ton of difficulty getting a good recipe for the cartridge. I struggled with failure to cycle, case separation, etc. It was a wily beast. Ultimately I also became frustrated with sorting brass, so I sold the whole kit.

• kf4zht

Also while he reams out barrels they are of known quality and material. The problem with saying you can just over pressure a quality case is then some idiot does it with a random crap import barrel, it blows up and they get hurt.

Its the same problem 9mm major has. Yes, it is just a 9mm barrel but the people who will say their guns can handle it have a very tight control on what barrels they use.

I’ve thought about building a aero survival rifle in 460 by reaming out the 45 barrel and uping the spring. In that case I think the chamber thickness is enough to handle the pressure, but I would also never do it for someone else

• EvenBiggerD

The recoil spring and perhaps the porting are required to change the timing. I’m guessing a ramped barrel is required/a good idea too.

You could likely get similar results from a number of other brass lineages (.451 Detonics, .45 Super, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 NAACO etc.) if you wanted. But .460 Rowland is a canned solution to get a magnum level .45 in a 1911.

You don’t want to use a thin walled ACP case, especially with a non-ramped barrel. That’s asking for a case blowout, which is not fun.

Reply to: Steven
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now