Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Firearm and Gun Forums Firearm and Gun Forums Firearms Rifles Recommendation for a rifle and optic $3500 budget for a long range beginner

• Recommendation for a rifle and optic $3500 budget for a long range beginner

Steven updated 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • Steven

July 7, 2020 at 11:21 pm

My son (14) and I recently got into firearms. We have enjoyed the journey so far and it has given me a new opportunity to spend some valuable quality time with him. I asked him what he thought our next firearm purchase should be and he showed interest in getting something that will shoot up to 1000 yards. He is favoring a bolt action rifle, but it could be semi auto too. We don’t hunt, but that could change, we don’t live in an area where we would need to shoot that far for defense, but you never know. I guess I’m saying we would like something versatile, but for the most part it would just be hitting targets. We have a Sig SRD 762TI Direct Thread suppressor in jail and it would be nice to be able to use that on it also. I would appreciate a few leads on models, calibers, and optics that would be in around the $3500 range for a complete set up. We can pretend times are normal and everything is in stock and reasonably priced because I can wait until things roll back a little, we are in no rush. I can go up in budget if needed, but would like to stay around $3500. Thanks in advance!

• magicweasel7

How would you feel about building a rifle? With that budget you could easily do a DIY build around an Origin or Tenacity action and get exactly what you want

• TRhomp9k

Bergara B14 HMR with an Athlon Ares ETC 4.5-30, with a good set of rings, 20 moa base, and bipod. The barrel is already threaded for you and its available in a large range of calibers. All of it together will set you back around $2500

• Opposable_Thumb

I don’t have any specifics for you. But I was given a bit of advice that you might benefit from.

Buy the best scope possible even if you have to cut corners on the rifle. The reasoning being, you can learn the basics of long range shooting on pretty much anything. Then when you’re ready to upgrade you can almost always sell the rifle and recoup some of your money but it’s almost impossible to sell used glass, so get something of quality that will still be viable on your upgraded weapon.

• jlficken

I’d go with a Tikka CTR in a KRG Bravo chassis (CTR Mags).

Add a Nightforce A190 Unimount, Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 from Camera Land NY, an Atlas PSR bipod, and call it a day.

$1000 – CTR in 6.5CM or 260Rem

$240 – NF Unimount

$750 – Bushnell LRHS

$275 – Atlas PSR

$400 – KRG Bravo

• mike15511706

I purchased a Tikka T3X Tac A1 6.5 creedmoor. Put a Vortex PST Gen 2 on it (Mil dot). Spend about $2000 on rifle and $1000 on scope. Bipod and scope rings with a level and some bags will probably run you another $6-700. Well worth the purchase. Recently attended a precision shooting school with it and was banging steel at 1000 yards +. The rifle is smooth shooting, the bolt is as smooth as all hell. Can’t go wrong. Good luck.

• Lb3ntl3y

my set up is about 2k
    savage 110 tactical in 6.5 oryx chassis vortex pst 2 harris bipod vg6 epsilon break and pmr rings

• darelic805

Just do a Rem700 in 308 with a Nightforce NXS or Vortex Razor HD Gen ii. 6.5 will shoot well but if you want to hunt and have ammo available get the 308.

Reply to: Steven
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now