Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Firearm and Gun Forums Firearm and Gun Forums Ammunition Savage Axis 243 – Finding the Best Ammunition

• Savage Axis 243 – Finding the Best Ammunition

JRthe3 updated 11 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • JRthe3

December 15, 2019 at 7:30 am

• KillerKolt44

I shot Winchester super x with the axis and had b.c. the exact same result. A similar grouping closer to the bullseye at 100 yards.

• Jamie Sloan

No wonder your shots were going everywhere. Your muzzle would jump a different amount, on every shot. Not consistent, at all. Use a sandbag on the forestock, and either keep your left hand out of play, or lay it on the scope, with the same amount of weight every time. Muzzle jump will destroy group sizes, man. My rifles group higher from a bipod, than they do from a front sandbag. But I purposely do the exact same thing on every shot, whichever one that I'm using that day. I'm not being a "troll". I'm just speaking from experience.

• MrPat5305

Super X 100 gr seems to shoot good in mine

• tom bob

Found out my 243 loves browning 243 rapid expansion matrix tip 97 grain. have bullets touching at 100 200 I can group it at a inc.

• peter mcentee

Nice video.
    I've been using an axis in .243 for about 5 years. Did a bit of work on the stock and use a wild cat mod on it. I only use Hornady white tail in 100 grain. Usually get 2" groups at 100 yards. Have a .308 too but would never part with my .243.

• Mike Patten

Maybe I missed it but what distance was you shooting I just got the same rifle and bought super x 100gr Powe r point last 6 shots were through same hole or touching but was only 35 yds

• Jamie Sloan

Funny how rifles like certain brands of ammo…. I, personally, think it has to do with the bore/projectile "size" ratio. If the bullet is too tight, then it deforms it. If it's too loose, then it doesn't engage the rifling just right. I could be wrong….. But, this makes a world of difference, in the .22lr World. Of course charge consistency(powder), has a lot to do with it, also…

• Jamie Sloan

Make sure that there is PLENTY of space between your barrel and the forestock. I filed some material away, to give the stock room to flex, without touching the barrel during recoil. It definitely has my Savage .223 shooting better! I haven't tested my .243 in awhile though. I plan on giving it plenty of space too, tho. If your barrel touches the stock during recoil, it will drastically throw off the harmonics, and consistency. The stocks are pretty flimsy on these rifles. They may look free floated, until they recoil. Hope this helps ya out, man.

• Healthy Vegan Living

Hi Chip do you make your own ammo? 63 gary

• My Slice Of Heaven Outdoors

December 15, 2019 at 7:31 am

good job on this video Chip, well done buddy.

• Jamie Sloan

I hit 10 water bottles in a row, from 200 yards today, with my Savage .223. Shooting Remington UMC 55g. I was very pleased… All of my hunting shots are well within 200 yards(mostly 50-100). It was very windy today, and I was shooting from a standing position, with only a front rest. Not a consistent sub MOA rifle, but plenty accurate enough for my intentions.

• RB M

My Axis .223 is shooting the best with factory Winchester Super X 55gr. SP. I get an inch or under at 100 yards. I have now duplicated that load with my hand loads so I get an inch or under. The best thing I did was replace the factory plastic stock with a Boyds laminated CNC machined wood gun stock. The wood stock makes the rifle heavier but eliminates the flex and whip of the plastic stock. Made a huge difference in my bullet groups. I also did a trigger job and bolt handle job on it. Nice clean three pound break on the trigger and took/turned the top of the handle down so there are no more clearance problems with optics. I have done essentially the same thing with my other Axis in .22-250 and it likes factory Federal Power Shok 55gr. SP the best so far. Thanks for sharing.

I initially tried what you are thinking. I epoxy bedded the plastic stock and braced the fore stock with an aluminum rod and that did help tighten up the action and take out some of the flex a little. But the whip from the grip area of the stock was still preventing better bullet groups. That thin grip is very weak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqpYTECGc2I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbvRG0rDgK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIHv8Am18FU&t=7s

• Philip Cockram

Cool video and channel . I am going to send this to my pal because he has the same firearm . Good test of the different ammo . I have a lot of luck with winchester myself

• Tecnine 2020

Good ammo

• Heavenly Hill Family Farm

Just going out shooting is worth it, finding which shoots the best, right lol. Joking of course, finding what groups the best for you setup is key. Thanks for sharing, now I need to figure out how you did the video in video thing

• Mad Scientist Hut

Nice test Chip! like+

• Orphan Annie Oakly

You will get higher performance out of a hand load.

• 3G Outdoor Adventures

Nice shooting, I won that same gun last year at a banquet , still sitting in the box in the safe!

• NYCamper62

I like how you noted the cool down time, some might not realize how important that is for obtaining good groups. Especially with sport barrels. When I'm at the range I do the same. Often bring a 22 / 22mag along to use during that.

• Scott’sJourneys

Great video Chip, enjoyed watching. Take care my friend.

• Unbox Odyssey

I like how you showing different camera angles

• Colorado Martini

Hey Chip, I need to have Mr. Martini watch your videos. He would be very interested in this. You are doing a fabulous job on your videos and channel. You are a talented creator. Thank you for all your help on my channel. I so appreciate it. I would not be where I am today, if it wasn't for friends like you. We are in this together. "Develop success from failures.

• Bobby Pennington Adventures

That was a well done test and explanation of why you chose the one you did. Good job.

• PappysCorner

Awe Winchester it is.!!…. I'm not surprised. Way to go.!!

Reply to: JRthe3
Your information:

Cancel
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now