Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Hunting Guest here Reply To: Guest here

• Tshootz

July 11, 2021 at 7:24 pm

I really do appreciate people like you that can have an open mind about something even though you don’t personally agree with it. I remember seeing that post you mentioned about the squirrel and it made me think back to the first time I made a bad shot on a deer and she didn’t die reasonable quick. I felt so bad about that and how she must have felt that I made a promise to myself that something like that would never happen to me again. I’ve taken the time to become not just a better shot, but a better hunter too so I’m able to get closer to the animals and have a larger margin for error. Since that incident I have not had to take a second shot on an animal and they have all passed fairly quick. If you shoot an animal and don’t feel some type of remorse then I truly believe there’s something wrong with you. It’s not easy taking a life and it’s a responsibility I personally take very seriously. For me hunting isn’t about “chasing horns”, though if I get a monster animal you bet I’m going to be excited about it haha, it’s about being out in nature and getting to experience that with my family. There have been times hunting where a buck has walked within 10 yards of me and my father and had no idea we were there so we just got to watch him walk through, eat some grass, and keep on his way. That was a true wild animal and it was certainly one of the coolest things I’ve gotten to see. Sure animals in national parks in the US are “wild” and they get close to you, but they’re really pretty tame. It’s also very rewarding for me to get to share the meat I’ve harvested with family and friends and know that the effort I put into taking that animal paid off and is something they’ll enjoy.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about a touchy subject to some folks, and again thank you for having the respect to see someone else’s side of the story. There are so many people that wouldn’t have made this post and I’m glad you did!