Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Ammunition Reloading Need help with setting up a Dillon 550C: wondering if something is potentially out of spec pertaining the shell plate bolt or the center hole. (bolt won’t go further in/screw in, and no, the brass tip set screw is not installed) more details in the comments. Thanks in advance. Reply To: Need help with setting up a Dillon 550C: wondering if something is potentially out of spec pertaining the shell plate bolt or the center hole. (bolt won’t go further in/screw in, and no, the brass tip set screw is not installed) more details in the comments. Thanks in advance.

• surf53

July 11, 2021 at 9:09 pm

First time setting up a new 550C and everything was going smooth until I went to screw in the shell plate bolt. In the picture you can see the bolt protruding up from where it should be snug over the sprocket. I can’t get it to thread no matter what I seem to do. I’m thinking the bolt might be catching on the center hole where it’s supposed to slide down (either the bolt or hole slightly out of spec)?

The set screw is not installed. I can see by shining a light that nothing is obstructing the set screw hole and the bolt hole is clear and does indeed have threads to receive the bolt.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Dillon customer support on their website says they might need a few weeks to get back to folks with questions. Thanks!

u/dillonrep

Update: the bolt seems to get hung up after the black metal and where the chrome colored ram begins. More pics https://imgur.com/a/u9Pn2nW

I’m able to determine that based on how far the bolt goes in.

More pics