Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Ammunition Reloading Thinking about reloading. Will I save money reloading 6.5 creedmoor? Reply To: Thinking about reloading. Will I save money reloading 6.5 creedmoor?

• Malapple

July 11, 2021 at 11:11 pm

When I got into it, people kept (almost smugly) saying “No one saves money by reloading” then would proceed to talk about how having easier access to ammo means you shoot more means you spend more overall.

It’s such a weird way to look at it. A round costs X cents (I’m in the US). Whether I shoot 12 of them or 2,000 of them, there’s a per-round cost.

And yes, as others have pointed out, there’s a buy-in cost for equipment. I’m probably into it for $2,000 or so for all my gear and another $1,500-$2,000 for my initial component cost, but I bought enough to make many thousands of rounds and have almost 30K primers (any time I saw them at pre-covid prices, I’d buy).

I’m very glad I did it. Every presidential election seems to jack ammo prices up. If there’s a mass shooting in your state, that can do it as well. Civil unrest, threat of new gun laws… all sorts of things. I’m well prepared to sit out price fluctuations, now. I’m also prepared to make a hell of a lot of ammo if things really went sideways.

It’s also a fun hobby – especially if you 3d Print. I’ve 3d printed a shell feeder, about to do a bullet feeder.