Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Ammunition Reloading Very stupid question please dont judge Reply To: Very stupid question please dont judge

• fatguywithagun

July 12, 2021 at 1:13 am

This has been addressed in some lengthy threads a lot lately. Two things that I’ve learned in my research is that:

A- magnum primers are effectively interchangeable with standard primers, not always the other way around…

B- magnum primers were designed more around powder type than case volume. Ball powder contains burn rate inhibitors, and usually benefit from the extra slag thrown through the powder column for even ignition, where stick powders ignite just fine without the increased “oomph”.

Therefore, you can always substitute a magnum primer in place of a standard primer, with a proper adjustment (usually down from your normal load by 10% and work back up) just never drop below the minimum charge listed (good chance you’ll have a big boom). You may not be able to “downgrade” to a standard primer with a magnum load of ball powder and still get proper ignition. This is what I’ve gathered from fairly extensive research, but I dont own a ballistic lab or anything, so take my advice with a grain of salt…YMMV…load on brother