Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Hunting 20M from California Want to get into hunting Reply To: 20M from California Want to get into hunting

• JAPOutdoors

July 12, 2021 at 1:30 am

Hey man I’m also a California Hunter. Go online and find a hunters safety course. I know you can do most of if not all of it online now. Then I would suggest getting yourself a 12 gauge shotgun. They can be pretty cheap and laws aren’t too confusing. Plus you can find steel shotgun shells in most big outdoor shops ( lead shot is illegal to hunt with in California). Start with upland game and birds (quail, dove, chukar, jackrabbit, cottontail). As far as finding places to hunt it can be tricky. You could call your local BLM (Bureau of Land Management) office and ask them what your best options would be as far as public lands or you could download an app like OnX which has land filters that show you exactly where public lands are around you. Good luck man. I’m lucky I had my dad and friends to help me along the way but I’m 28 been hunting since I was 13 and I still get confused about some of the everchanging gun and hunting laws here in California.