Know Which Type Of Federal Firearms License Yo Need – FFL License

Within the three classes of Federal Firearms Licenses, there are nine different types of Federal Firearms Licenses. These can be applied to the classes in various ways based on the class of FFL license a person holds.

These can be confusing to a person who has never applied for a license before, and they are important to know based on the FFL application being made.

A short synopsis of the types of Federal Firearms Licenses:

Type 01 This is a Title 1 for the gunsmith who can also be a dealer. It is exclusive of destructive devices.

Type 02 Title 1 is for a pawnbroker dealer.

Type 03 For relic and firearms collectors and dealers – This includes the manufacture of ammunition for items like black powder.

Type 06 For the licensed maker of ammunition and reloading components – This does not include Armor Piercing ammunition.

Type 07 Title one manufacturer and dealer of firearms – It also includes ammunition except for armor piercing types.

Type 08 Importer of Title 1 firearms including ammunition – With a Class 1 stamp can also import Title II National Firearms Act firearms.

Type 09 Title 1 firearms and destructive device dealer – This type includes NFA destructive devices, but no other NFA.

Type 10 Manufacturer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition and ammunition components – This includes the manufacture of NFA Destructive Devices and ammunition for same, and Armor Piercing ammunition. The person or entity that holds this Type also can be a dealer of the products made. It requires registration with the U.S. Department of State as a manufacturer under ITAR/D-TRADE. The manufacture of explosives requires an additional FFL.

Type 11 Firearms, ammunition, and destructive devices importer – This allows the import of Title 1 firearms, ammunition, NFA Destructive Devices and ammunition for same, and armor-piercing ammunition. This requires registration with the U.S. Department of State as a broker under ITAR/D-TRADE. To be able to import any DD with explosives content requires an additional FFL as an Importer of High Explosives.

These types work along with the three classes. For instance, a Class 1 for importers requires a Type 08 or Type 11 FFL. The manufacturer/dealer Class 2 requires either a Type 07 or Type 10 FFL.

Because Class 3 deals with both dealer and manufacturer, Types 01, 02, 07, 08, 09, 10, and 11 may apply.

As you can see, these types run the gambit from the small retailer on through the large weapons dealers who hold contracts with the government. Most individuals who just intend to buy and trade firearms of a personal nature would tend to go for the Class 3, Type 2 FFL.

Every type of firearm sale is included in an FFL except the antique guns made before 1898. These are outside of federal control and can be bought and sold freely by anyone. Antique guns can be refurbished to firing order and still remain in the federally-exempt status.

I encourage you to use an FFL Guide when acquiring your Federal Firearms License and to research extensively as to which type and class of FFL would benefit you the most.

Related Articles


Your email address will not be published.