A private security guard plays a vital role in people’s lives. Right now, there are more than 1 million security officers in the USA. Apparently, they outnumber police officers in our country. Guards ensure safety of common people against robbery, vandalism, or terrorist attack. So, it is very important to train security guards with strict standards and guidelines. But in a recently published research by Michigan State University, researchers have indicated a great decline in training and standards of security officer companies. This report forces us to think about stricter standards for the security guard industry. I am writing this article to highlight this issue.
The role of a security company has become more important after the 9/11 attacks. Government has beefed up security at the airports after September 11. But there is a need to bring stricter standards and guidelines for guards. Governments of some regions like Australia and Europe have adopted stringent standards and training programs for their private security guards. In the wake of the growing role of guards, we need some robust guidelines.
What are the issues?
Issues that we need to discuss are:
- Lack of training is one of the most crucial issues. This is an $11 billion-a-year industry in the United States of America. But many security officers do not receive specialized training. The training requirements vary from state to state.
- The training does not focus on tackling terrorist attacks, or working with firefighters.
- Security officers are subjected to undergo rigorous background checks, but this rule is not followed by many companies.
- It is a low-paying job; therefore, qualified persons do not want to work in this industry.
What are the solutions?
Below are some useful solutions:
- There is a need to design specialized courses covering topics like risk management, patrol guarding, mob control, firearm security and investigative services.
- Police or justice authorities should conduct criminal background checks. A company can also hire a background screening service and private investigator to do rigorous background checks of applicants. You can find such services at an affordable rate.
- Mention strict patrol compliance standards in your written contract.
- Owners of private security companies must have gone through relevant training. This rule is mandatory in countries like Austria and Belgium.
There is a need to discuss the issue of low payment. According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual wage of security guards is $24,020 per year. They earn $11.55 per hour, which means waiters and maids are earning more than a security officer.
Security Guard Company LA follows all the strict norms.